David R. Woolley
3144 10th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55407
(office) • 612-770-8798
Software Developer • Website Designer • Writer • Photographer
Summary of Qualifications
- Influential pioneer in online communities and social media
- Creative problem solver & conceptual thinker
- Innovative tool builder & designer of intuitive human interfaces
- Experienced leader of organizations and teams
- Accomplished software developer
- Published technical & creative writer
- Skilled photographer & photo editor
Online Communication & Social Media
- Created PLATO Notes
in 1973, the world's first general-purpose online discussion forum and progenitor of
- Co-created Talkomatic, the world's first multi-user online chat program.
- Built an online community serving Minneapolis-St. Paul, featuring many forums on diverse topics.
- Trained and coached moderators of online forums.
- Advised the makers of leading message board software, including
WebBoard, and Well Engaged.
- Evaluated client needs for conferencing, recommended solutions, and customized discussion environments at client sites.
- Advised clients about social media strategy (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.)
User Interface Design
- Designed numerous web sites, many with WordPress, others with hand-coded HTML & CSS.
- Created a sophisticated Windows-style editor for screen fonts.
- Wrote several computer games, including two for multiple players across a network.
- Invented a computer game for dolphins, for John Lilly's Human/Dolphin Foundation.
- Supervised teams developing computer-based training applications for industrial clients.
- Guided the nonprofit Twin Cities Free-Net (TCFN) through strategic planning, establishing a board, hiring staff and coordinating volunteers.
- Represented TCFN through public speaking, radio and TV appearances, and interviews with journalists.
- Held chair and treasurer positions on nonprofit boards, including E-Democracy.org and Friends for a Non-Violent World.
- Held numerous leadership positions at Minneapolis Friends Meeting, including Presiding Clerk.
- Founded or cofounded three for-profit businesses.
- Conceived an annual award for students who exhibit spontaneous creativity
and led fellow alumni in establishing it.
Interactive Media & Computer Based Instruction
- Created TA, an easy-to-use prompted authoring system.
- Designed & developed portions of TenCORE Language Authoring System & TenCORE Producer.
- Added many commands & features to PLATO's authoring language.
- Developed tools for simulating aircraft cockpit displays for commercial pilot training.
- Built components of Computer Managed Instruction systems, including student routers and test drivers.
- Devised a general-purpose system for retrieving statistically representative samples from
large AT&T databases.
- Conceived & wrote The Nameset Library, a comprehensive set of C
functions for managing data files.
UNIX shell scripts, SAS, Tutor, TenCORE, and assembly languages.
Writing & Documentation
Photography & Video Production
Chief Software Architect, Celebrations of Life, Minneapolis, MN
(aka Chrysalis Software, Inc.), Minneapolis, MN
Executive Director, Twin Cities Free-Net, Minneapolis, MN
Director, Software & Education Associates, San Diego, CA
Independent computer consultant, San Diego, CA
Programmer Analyst, PLATO Software Development,
Control Data Corp., Minneapolis, MN
System Programmer, Computer-based Education Research Laboratory (CERL),
University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
Past Consulting Clients (partial list)
- B.A., Psychology; minor in computer science - University of Illinois, Urbana, IL - 1977.
- Sound Technology & Composition - Film in the Cities, St. Paul, MN - 1988-89.
Online Profiles & Presence:
LinkedIn • WordPress Plugins • SmugMug (photography) • Wikipedia • Personal Blog
Publications and Presentations
Quotes from Clients
Additional references available on request