- Multi-module project management system oriented toward architectural design and construction projects.
- 5pm, by QG Software
- Simplified project management for small workgroups. Free trial; monthly pricing based on
the number of users.
- AceProject, by Websystems
- Project management system, featuring task management, Gantt charts, statistics and reports,
time sheet tracking, document management, email notifications, and discussion forums. Basic, limited
use is free. Also available as licensed source code for Windows.
- AirSet, by Airena Inc.
- An online personal information manager with sharing capabilities. Groups can share calendars, contact
lists, and to-do lists. Accessible through web browsers, PDA's, and some mobile phones. Can
synchronize with Outlook.
- Hosted suite of collaboration applications for individual or corporate project management needs.
AJAX enabled. Free during promotional period.
- Backpack, by 37signals
- Similar to a wiki but much easier to enter content. Backpack lets you create and share pages with your organization that may
contain documents, images, notes, to-do lists, etc. Group calendars and message boards are also
available. NOTE: The vendor is no longer offering Backpack to new customers, and suggests using Basecamp instead.
- Basecamp, by 37signals
- Web based collaboration featuring task assignment, threaded message posting, scheduling, tracking time and file sharing.
Tiered pricing for managing multiple projects. No contract, pay-as-you-go. Free plan available for single project management.
- BigMind Catalyst, by BigMindMedia
- Highly customizable social space for collaborative work, learning, in-depth conversations,
project management, and problem-solving in a well-organized environment.
- Bug tracking and project management system. Permits an unlimited number of companies, each containing its own users
and projects. Desktop application lets you capture screenshots and record screen videos, and
attach them to project items with comments.
- Hosted virtual office space with desktop sharing for up to 11 (1 moderator and 10 guests), video broadcasting
for up to 25, Power Point presentations from your desktop/website or through their server. Remote
computer access, private rooms. Rentals ranging from hourly plans to annual membership.
- Powerful yet easy to use file sharing and collaboration. Store your files in the cloud in a folder structure.
Offers commenting and discussion, wiki documents, simple workflow and task assignments, searching
within documents, presentations, and spreadsheets, and file syncing to your desktop. Free for
limited personal use; monthly fees for business and enterprise use.
- Online workspace oriented toward engineering firms and the construction
industry. Uses WebEx conferencing.
- Web-based, scalable project management software available as hosted service or downloadable. Features
task and resource management, shared calendar, workflow and budget tracking, along with threaded company-wide
or project-specific discussion forums and secure client collaboration capability.
- Central Desktop
- Easy-to-use group workspace with highly intuitive user interface. Features discussion forums (can be
dropped in anywhere), file libraries, calendars, task tracking, etc. Some wiki-like features, as well.
Integrated live web conferencing is optional.
- Provides online team collaboration for businesses building both Intranets and Extranets.
Features include file sharing, wiki, project management, discussion forum, calendar, and chat.
- Clinked, by Rabbitsoft
- Collaboration and project management platform offering collaboratively authored wiki pages with
rich text and embedded documents, forum discussions, event scheduling, and task management.
Available in multiple languages. Free for public groups or small private groups; tiered pricing based on size and number of
- Web-based project management service automating task/work flow, ticketing and tracking bugs, wiki features
for co-editing, document management, team memory, etc. Flexible dashboard and permissions.
Monthly plans based on number of active projects and data storage requirements. Also available for
custom installation on your own site.
- Collaboration Gateway, by CommunityCrossings
- Offers secure eCommerce, event registration, polling, email/eNewsletters, discussion forums,
project management, eLearning classrooms, CRM functions, and other features.
- Offers online workspaces with a variety of tools, including discussions, chat,
messaging, blogs, document sharing, and polls, integrated with Microsoft Office.
- Browser-based mind-mapping for brainstorming, online presentations and other collaborative uses. Small per-person
fee enables up to 20 users to add to or edit comap simultaneously. Maps can be shown to an unlimited number of viewers
at no charge. Can also be installed on your own server behind firewall. Windows, Macintosh.
- Communispace builds corporate communities based on their own software.
- Comotiv Collaboration
- A suite of tools offering a combination of real-time and asynchronous collaborative tools,
including project and task management, discussions, sharing of files, notes, bookmarks, and contacts,
as well as real-time audio and video conferencing.
- A virtual office featuring unified messaging, calendar, document management, etc. All tools
can be used in individual or shared mode, and all are accessible through web browsers, mobile phones, and PDA's.
- Critical Path Hosted Messaging
- Service for enterprises, including email, calendar, group scheduling, file sharing,
and directory services.
- Collaboration suite built around social networking features like microblogging, activity feeds,
and profiles, along with wikis, file sharing, group chats, action items, and other features. Basic
use is free forever; professional and enterprise versions provide extra features and storage space.
- cyn.in, by Cynapse
- Combines collaboration tools like wikis, blogs, file repositories, micro blogs, instant discussions,
and other social applications into a seamless platform. The cyn.in desktop client keeps users updated
with its activity stream while enabling instant discussions within any document, file or content.
Available as a hosted service, as an enterprise appliance, or as free open-source software.
Based on Plone, Zope, and Python; supports Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- CZ Advantage, by Ramius
- Community Zero software offered as a hosted service. Privately branded spaces containing
one or more distinct communities are available.
- Daptiv PPM
- Advanced project management. Evaluate project priorities, manage resources, monitor performance, and
create your own business applications. Integrates with Outlook.
- Very inexpensive online project and task management collaborative software for small creative and technology firms.
Create, manage and track projects from one window. Clear user interface. Free for up to 3 projects with 5 users.
- Environment for collaborative work and e-learning. Also available as open source software.
- DRE Business Collaboration Network
- Business collaboration tool for sales & marketing professionals to communicate with colleagues
and customers. Features custom collaboration spaces with your company name and logo, full web conferencing
capabilities, unlimited data storage, and discussion forums with email integration.
- Web-based suite of tools and administrative services with intranet and extranet applications. Industry-specific
project and website management/analysis features for higher education, industry and private sector. Real-time and
asynchronous applications. Multiple hosting and pricing plans depending on size of organization, frequency of use,
level of customization. Integrates with Outlook and Palm.
- eStudio, by Same-Page
- Free for the first 30 days. A "virtual office suite" with 15 collaboration tools, including
message boards, real-time chat, group calendars & scheduling, project tracking,
presentations, contact management, project time logging, document management, and more. Your workspace
can optionally include an integrated live web and video conferencing tool,
- eTouch SamePage
- Workgroup collaboration environment featuring WYSIWIG editing of wikis and blogs. Free for limited use by
up to five users; per-user monthly fees apply for larger groups and unlimited storage. (eTouch SamePage
should not be confused with the company named Same-Page, makers of the
eStudio collaboration software.)
- eUnify, by Serran Technologies
- Hosted intranet solution. Discounts for academic and nonprofit organizations.
- Tools for brainstorming, categorizing and decision making designed to enhance
productivity in the meeting room and over the internet.
- Feng Office
- Feng Office Sky is a hosted platform offering tools for managing project tasks, communicating with co-workers and tracking all
communication with customers and vendors, scheduling, billing, and document sharing.
Also available as installed software on your own server.
- Workspaces for small to medium size companies. Offers document management and sharing with versioning,
task assignment and tracking, discussions, polls, and simple customer relationship management (CRM) features.
- Google Apps
- Web-based creation, editing, and sharing of word documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and web pages ("Google Sites").
Not as laden with features as Microsoft Office, but it handles the basics. You can use it privately, or share
access with any group you specify. Also offers email (Gmail) and shared calendars. Free for educational use.
- Group Jazz
- Custom-designed conferencing spaces for collaborative work,
using Caucus software.
- GroupMind Express
- Designed for group decision making and project tracking. Used primarily in conjunction
with real-time phone or face-to-face conferencing.
- A Web 2.0 style collaborative workspace, featuring "community intelligence" features such
as ranking, rating, and tagging of content. Supports multiple groups with a flexible
permissions structure. Also offers the ability to email notes and content into the system.
- Wiki-based collaboration with project management features. Offers the ability to set up custom data tables.
- HotOffice Intranet Office Suite
- Offers document management, group contact manager, bulletin boards, web-based email, and chat rooms.
- Secure, scalable, hosted virtual workspaces for project management, document sharing, monitoring timelines
and workflow. Need only browser and internet access. Comprehensive training, consultation and help desk.
Basic account is free; three types of premium accounts.
Not to be confused with online meeting product named Huddle.
- Fully integrated online collaboration, communication & productivity suite, an alternative to building your own
Microsoft Exchange and SharePoint servers. Tools include web-based email,
document management, intranet and extranet workspaces, group calendars, task manager, forums, contact management,
opinion polls, announcements, Outlook synchronization, and online databases.
Compatible with all PC and Mac web browsers, and almost any mobile device. Free services include training, phone support, upgrades and consultation.
Can be integrated with HyperMeeting or HyperWebinar for live meetings.
30-day free trial.
PC Magazine review of HyperOffice, Aug 2010
- Complete workspace solution that integrates conferencing, document management, instant messaging, and other collaboration tools.
- IdeaPlane, by Workshare
- Enterprise social network, combining security and privacy controls with easy-to-use social tools.
Offers profiles, connections, status updates, private messaging, groups, newsfeeds, and other social network features.
- Collaborative work and project management service, featuring extensive document sharing, planning and tracking,
chat and messaging features. Priced according to storage and bandwidth usage.
- InfoPort, by Innovis
- Features document archive, address book, contact manager, "to do" lists, news, and resource scheduling.
- Instant Business Network Collaboration Server (IBN-CS), by Mediachase
- Powerful, secure collaboration, communication and tracking solutions for any size organization. Feature-rich enterprise class software,
with versatile and customizable data field tracking, shared lists and records to reduce unnecessary email, inbound/outbound email
routing, portfolio creation and management to logically group projects and more. Integrates with Microsoft Office and Windows.
On-demand subscription plans also available.
- Secure, on-demand workspaces for document storage, retrieval and exchange. Real-time reporting shows who has accessed the
information, when and how often. Simple user interface. Files can be uploaded in any format, even by fax.
- Kavi provides standards organizations and consortia with web-based collaborative solutions that facilitate
standards development and management. Secure workspaces enable group-based document repositories, email
discussion lists, online balloting, comment resolution, and more.
- Can be used free of charge if you will tolerate advertising banners and some space usage limits.
- Lotus QuickPlace
- Collaboratively create mind maps in real time. Integrated with Skype for
simultaneous voice conversations. API allows developing applications that interact with MindMeister.
Basic use is free; low monthly fee for unlimited mind maps and additional features.
- Mix Meeting
- Real-time conferencing options including reservationless online meeting rooms able to accomodate small
or large groups. Application and desktop sharing, file editing and transfer, interactive chat, polls. Hosting
options available; pay only for the time you use. Also offering pay-per-minute conference calling with toll-free
dial in. High volume discounts available.
- Hosted virtual office with calendars, contacts, email, files store and task scheduler.
The most feature-rich version requires special Windows desktop software, but your online
office can also be accessed through a web browser or Windows Mobile Pocket PCs.
- Collaborative workspaces built on the concepts of blogs and wikis.
Free plan allows unlimited users, blogs, wikis, and calendars. Additional features
(task management, file sharing, management controls, and others) come with monthly fees,
but are still inexpensive.
- Public and private collaborative work spaces with a variety of tools/features including blogs and
wiki. Document and file management/sharing along with website publication, corporate intranets
and extranets, individual or collective blogs. Available as a hosted service with a dedicated server
or free with shared server. No ads. Java based.
- Low cost service offering features for collaboration, sharing, exchanging, and managing files and documents securely online.
- Collaboration service for independent and mobile teams of 2 to 20 users. Provides secure storage and
management of your files, allowing access to your files from anywhere and easy sharing with people within or outside your team.
Automatically synchronizes files across multiple computers. All of your files are automatically backed up
in the cloud and protected by 256-bit encryption.
- Public and private email mailing lists with a web interface for posting and reading messages and files.
Free for public groups (with no ads). Fees for private groups are tiered based on the number of
- Offers project management, project calendars, discussions, and document sharing
with support for 2D and 3D CAD data designs.
- Uses the BSCW Shared Workspace System.
- Orchestra by Crossdraw
- Web-based shared workspace application, can be integrated into existing website. Installation
required. This website appears to require Internet Explorer.
- Easy-to-use hosted wiki collaborative workspace, with WYSIWIG editing, ability to attach documents,
and plugins for shared calendars, chat rooms, and voice chat. Free for personal and educational use;
premium features for business use are charged based on the number of users.
- Collaborative workspace designed for CAD engineers and Architects, offering real-time
web conferencing as well as document libraries, project management, etc.
- Planet Intra
- Offers Planet Intra service for light duty, and Intra.Net service
for larger organizations.
- Offers tools to manage both unstructured project information (notes, documents, media files,
forum, blog, and wiki posts) and structured data such as task tracking. Multi-language user
- ProjectCoordinator, by Designtech
- Web-based tool for project management, document management, and web content management.
Also available as licensed software (the "portal" version.)
- Project Drive
- Web-based project management. Offers Gantt charts, calendaring, and collaboration. Customizable
- Offers hosted collaborative workspaces based on IBM Lotus Team Workplace
and Lotus SameTime.
- Manage people, tasks, projects and budgets. The dashboard and planning features provide reports and info
specifically with your project sponsor or stakeholder in mind. Includes unlimited online storage, and excellent
integration with Google Docs.
- Uses the BSCW Shared Workspace System.
- Project Plan
- Create and share your project plans online. Manage your work, keep projects on track and share plans with others.
First 30 days are free.
- ProjectSpaces by Forum One
- Web-based collaboration tools featuring document storing/sharing, on-the-fly discussions, multiple
project/task management. Monthly fee (unlimited members) based on number of projects. Free trial.
- A collaborative work environment specifically designed for e-learning development
projects. Features storyboarding, Flash production, project management, instructional
design work, and QA tracking.
- Quick Doc Review
- A free, instant, private space for gathering comments on a Word or HTML document. The "Pro" version
allows password protecting your documents and other features, for an annual fee.
- See IBM Lotus Team Workplace
- Q2Learning (formerly Collaboration Architects)
- Powerful collaboration platform for eLearning communities.
- Also available as open source software.
- SigmaSense, by Grouputer
- Enables online team collaboration in meetings using structured qualitative and quantitative tools of the DMAIC methodology.
Available as either a hosted service or licensed software.
- A visual project board, allowing you to easily visualize your workflow.
Manage multiple projects, track tickets, maintain contacts, and keep project-related
- Wiki collaboration. Also features team blogs, searching and tagging, and file management. Integrated with
email and instant messaging. Free for up to five users; monthly fees for larger groups.
- Features group and user profiles, forums and listservs, file repositories, surveys, group calendars and
scheduling, issue tracking, and search tools.
- Free project management tool to create workflows, delegate tasks and track progress. You can attach documents and spreadsheets
or sound recordings, video etc. No download required. Clear user interface.
- Enables a team to organize and track projects using a web-based task list with integrated calendar,
discussion, and document management capabilities.
- Web-based project management. Features scheduling, forecasting, status reporting, and
task assignment, with easy drag-and-drop user interface. Free during beta testing.
- TeamPortal, by ISC Limited
- teamspace, by 5 POINT AG
- TeamSpace, by flypaper.com
- Teamware Pl@za
- Allows creation of intranet portals, with discussion forums, document management,
personalized workspaces, and user-updateable pages.
- TeamWork Live
- Web-based project management software and team collaboration tool for managing tasks,
sharing documents, tracking time, and centralizing communication with team members and clients.
Includes Gmail-like internal messaging system, Microsoft Project import tool,
and Google Docs integration.
- Web-based groupware system with HRM, task management, CRM, service desk and IP PBX,
offered in 30 languages. Free-of-charge version for up to 10 users, and free for all
educational institutions. On-premises version is also available.
- Free service for personal and noncommercial use only. Offers forums, calendars,
contact managers, and other tools for collaboration.
- Allows creating and editing word documents, spreadsheets, and presentations online, compatible
with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Can be used as a private office, or invite others to view and collaborate
on documents. Requires a web browser and Java. Free online use; desktop, mobile, and server editions
are available for purchase.
- Online creation, editing, and sharing of word documents. Allows import/export from/to Microsoft Word,
Open Office, RTF, and HTML formats. As the name implies, Versionate tracks all changes to your
documents. Free for basic use; paid plans offer more storage space, increased
security, and other features.
- VerveShare (formerly Verve MeetingPlace)
- Service targeted at schools, nonprofits, religious and volunteer organizations to support interaction among
students, faculty, alumni, and affinity groups.
- WebEx WebOffice (formerly Intranets.com)
- Features document management, calendars, task management, discussions, contact lists, expense reports, polls, and databases.
Optionally integrates WebEx live web conferencing at extra cost.
- Hosted applications to create user and discussion groups, control permissions, share files, etc. Available
in many languages, which can be used simultaneously. No download, installation or programming experience required.
Cost based on number of users. Also offer other web-based ASP services.
- A service of SiteScape. Their software is also available as a product.
- Hosted, subscription-based digital workplace offering project management, human resources, marketing and sales
solutions. Spreadsheet interface options for flexible means to organize and share all types of business information,
comprehensive user access permissions, multiple web database availability. Pricing based on number of users.
No contract required.
- Cloud-enabled file sharing and web collaboration platform enabling real time,
simultaneous document-centric collaboration. Allows users to access, review, comment on,
and search files in over 200 file formats from any web browser-enabled device.
- WorkZone, by Trichys
- Extranet or intranet for secure collaboration and document sharing.
- Easy to use web-based project management. Inexpensive per-user pricing.
- Writeboard, by 37Signals
- Free collaborative document editing with version tracking.
- xPert eCommunity, by Q2Learning
- Collaboration platform optimized for communities of practice and work teams.
Also available as licensed software.
- A do-it-yourself web application builder and database builder that allows you to create your own
collaborative workspace directly on the web. Powered by PostgreSQL. A variety of collaborative tools have
already been developed, and you can create additional tools yourself. It requires some effort to dig into
Younicycle, and application development may require significant technical skills, but the capabilities of
the platform are extensive.
- Resource planning and project management using interactive gantt charts. Free while in beta.
- Zimbra, by Yahoo!
- Unique messaging and collaboration suite available as open source for internet service providers, or as a hosted service either
with Zimbra or one of many other hosting options. Customizable 'Zimlets' provide broad compatibility with other messaging
and information systems integrating email, contacts, shared calendar, VoIP, and online document authoring. Simplifies conference
calling, address mapping, travel booking/tracking, wikipedia search, and more. Additional Zimlets can be customized by you.
Pricing based on need and size of network.
- Zoho, by AdventNet
- Offers an extensive suite of online office applications. Free apps include word processor, spreadsheet,
presentations, wiki, notebook, planner, database, and group chat. Project management, CRM, and other
applications are offered on a fee basis. A review of Zoho
is available at ExtremeTech.